The L-4H Brightsaber is a portable photography light source designed to supplement the light available for photos with a shell that has edges to prop up against environmental features and space for accessory parts. The base model is an RGB light wand that can be sourced from a variety of brands, with a 3D printed shell. Since I was redesigning the shell anyway, and the panel was a thin, blade-like object of solid light, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to make it look like a lightsaber.
Version 001 was a prototype of the hilt, to test fit the control board and battery. The pieces were secured together with tabs and bolts, and the control board was linked to the hilt with a carrier.
In version 002 I modelled out most of the pieces, widened the space inside the hilt to give the board room for the cables that needed to be plugged into it, dropped the complex carrier shape for a simple tube, and changed from linking the pieces with tabs to slipping together and linking with friction. The tabs were being printed vertically, which is the worst orientation for strength, and just didn't fit together very well.
The remaining pieces were modelled for version 003. I changed the panel joiners to clip into the panel backs so they would hold stronger than a friction fit, and added holes to bolt the panel base to the hilt.
For version 004 I changed the panel joiners from a closed, O-shaped piece to an open, C-shaped piece so they could be stretched to slide down the panel and then snap back into place. I also experimented with the design of the tip a little. This version felt really good.
Version 005 switched the panel joiners back to a much simpler, friction fit design with better tolerance (only 0.1mm free play between parts instead of 0.2mm). I also changed how the battery was connected to the hilt so it would be easier to connect the two without having to get tweezers and electrical tape involved. This is the finished version, and I'm happy with how it turned out.
Next, I'll be creating a ring attachment that gives me a place to stop it from sliding around, and probably painting the hilt so it looks a little more finished.